Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Rest of Galilee

So I posted pictures up to Capernaum in a earlier post, but here are pics from the rest of the Trip. Starting with Thanksgiving:) We had class that day, but then after the Judd class got back from their field trip, we got to go river rafting on the Jordan river. I have to get those pics from Rachel, I don't have them yet.

That night we had a lightning storm, which was cool to watch over the Sea of Galilee. It came on really fast, and really hard. I didn't get great pictures, but here is one.


The next day we went to Gamala, it was pouring on us, and it was a little bit of a hike to get to it. 


This is a first century synagogue in Gamala, the view was amazing, but because I didn't want my camera to get wet, I didn't want to take many pictures.

After Gamala we went ti Kursi and Hippos, but my jacket, and pockets were soaked, so I left my camera on the bus in an attempt to keep it dry. No pictures, sorry.

After our field trip, I went on a optional hike, I was seriously debating wither or not to go, but I was so glad that I did. I am just going to post pictures, but It was beautiful!

















Needless to say, It was Very Pretty. 

After the hike, and our ANES class, My Roomates for Galilee (Abi, Ellen, and Jaque) made a Pie from the Convienate store. It was expensive, but really good:)


The next day was the Sabbath, we drove around the Sea of Galilee to the branch in Tiberias. The building is so small (really it was the main level of a house) that only the Judd class got to meet with the members, but we did get to go there to do our Sacrament meeting. The view from the Balcony was really pretty.



It was really pretty.

Sunday we had class, and just hung out. Our last day that we could swim on the beach...

Monday we went to Mt. Tabor, Nain, Megiddo, and Gan Ha-Shelosha (A swim hole)

at Mount Tabor, we got special treatment because the priest there speaks broken English, but mostly Polish, and Brother Schade speaks Polish. So we got into some places that most people don't get into.


Cute Arch in the Special access part.


View of the Church also from the Special Access


Lighting inside the churches are hard, and mostly yellow, so I like to turn them Black and white


One thing that you see often is prayers written down, and stuck in places close. They are all over the Western Wall, and other places. as part of our special tour, we got to underneath the building, and see some cool things. lighting was horrible, but this is a pile of the Prayers that are stuck down a grate above.


Should have gotten a pic with a boy... but this is inside the "Engagement Tower" with Alyssa. It was mostly a cute picture there.


View from the top of Mount Tabor.


This is the Church at Nain, where Christ rose a widows son from the dead in the middle of the funeral. It was under Construction, so the outside looks a lot better than inside.


Next we went to Megiddo, this is just a few pics.


What a 1st century Manger really looks like...


Just a small portion of the tel


View in one direction of the top of Megiddo


The Horse Stables....

Our last stop that night was a swimming hole. I didn't bring my camera off the bus at this stop, but it was really fun. There were fish, that if you hold still enough, they will come and eat the dead skin off your feet. 

The next day we started at Hazor, another big sight.



After Hazor, we went to Tel Dan, which was about the farthest thing from a tel that I have seen compared to the other hot and dry tels that we have been to. It was really pretty, and very green.


This is an Israelite Gate


Not much happens in this land as it is neutral land between Israel and Syria, but apparently there are Jeep Tours...


Winnie the Pooh Tree:)


River that runs through the middle of the Tel, making everything green.


Canaanite gate, which Abraham would have come through on his way to go and help rescue Lot.

Next we went to Caesaria Phillipi, which was cool. This is where Peter bears testimony of Christ as being the Son of the Living God, and is told that He will be a leader in the Church, as well as receive the Keys of the Priesthood from Elijah and Moses, just before the Mount of Trasfiguration.


Interesting that there are 3 other temples here, but not a Israelite one.

Next we went to a really cool castle, we only got 20 minutes, there but it was fun to run around it.




It was really beautiful:)

Our last stop was a Syria Overlook. My Camera was just about dead, but here is one good picture that I got.


There was a bunker on top, and I have pictures on other people's camera which I have not gotten yet.

The next day, Wednesday, we went to Chorizin, Sepphoris, and
Akko. I had forgotten my Camera on the bus the night before, and it was completly dead. But these were great places. Chorizin had a Synogogue, Sepphoris had lots of churches with very pretty mosaics, and Akko was another Crusader castle, with lots of tunnels.

Our last day was Thursday, we started at Mount Carmel where Elijah had his show down with the Priests of Baal.


Some Friends on top:) Jacob C., Sara and Liz D. and Eliesha G.



Me and Abi


After Mount Carmel, we went to Haifa, we stopped at a overlook, and then went to a Cemetery which I will explain under that pic.


Me, Kaylen, and Sarah T.


Overlook to Haifa


Missionary Gravestone. There was a time in the 1800's that there was missionaries were here. There was 2 that are buried in this Cemetery  both gave up all they had to be here. What great sacrifice  and great examples.

Our last stop was Caesaria. There was lots there, but I am only going to post a few pics. I only have a few more minutes, so I won't give to much explenation.












Well, that was a great trip, Hope you enjoyed:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment